Tax Fraud Scam Alert
Beware of individuals posing as Canada Revenue Agency employees. There has been many reported cases in Canada, and Calgary in particular. These individuals are very aggressive and lead you to believe that there is a warrant outstanding for your arrest related to back taxes. They try to scare you into making an immediate payment.
If you are unsure record the phone number and contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to verify if that is a legitimate number.
The following has been provided by the CRA to help identify these scams:
- never requests prepaid credit cards;
- never asks for information about your passport, health card, or driver’s licence;
- never shares your taxpayer information with another person, unless you have provided the appropriate authorization; and
- never leaves personal information on your answering machine or asks you to leave a message containing your personal information on an answering machine.
When in doubt, ask yourself the following:
- Is there a reason that the CRA may be calling? Do I have a tax balance outstanding?
- Is the requester asking for information I would not include with my tax return?
- Is the requester asking for information I know the CRA already has on file for me?
- How did the requester get my email address or telephone number?
- Am I confident I know who is asking for the information?
For more information visit: